October 16, 2010

strawberry jam ice cream

IMG_8538

Strawberry jam ice cream: pretty pretty pretty. And sweet in just the right subdued kind of way. It's lovely as a scoop on its own, and amazing mixed with meringue and raspberries. You MUST use homemade or good quality store-bought jam - the kind with chunks of fruit in.

IMG_8532

IMG_8551



strawberry jam ice cream
from Simon Hopkinson, Week In Week Out

300ml full fat milk
1/2 vanilla pod, split lengthways*
4 egg yolks
250ml double cream
150-175g strawberry jam (homemade or quality store-bought)

Place a large metal bowl in the freezer (or at least the fridge). Gently heat together the milk and vanilla pod in a solid-bottomed pan. As it comes to the boil, give it a whisk so as to disperse the vanilla seeds into the milk. Cover, and leave to infuse for 20 minutes. Beat the egg yolks with a fork in a small bowl and then mix in a little of the milk to loosen them. Add this to the vanilla-milk mix, whisk together and then cook over a very gently heat, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture has lightly thickened - do not allow it to boil. Take the chilled metal bowl from the freezer (or fridge), pour the mixture into it, and whisk thoroughly to cool quickly. Now whisk in the cream. Stir in the jam, pour into an ice-cream machine, then churn and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.


* Because I can't afford to use a vanilla pod for every recipe that calls for one, I buy Nielsen-Massey's pure vanilla bean paste. In this recipe, I used 1/2 tsp. You could use a good quality vanilla extract, but the paste includes the seeds, which I think are crucial in a good custard.

16 comments:

Koci said...

This looks so beautiful! I love strawberry ice cream to begin with, so this is perfect. I bet the strawberry jam just intensifies that flavor. Yum!!

christelle is flabbergasting said...

I love the elegant simplicity & delicate light of these shots!

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of wholesome, few-ingredient ice cream that we're drawn to. Very pretty. I'd be tempted to try this with every type of homemade jam we create!

Cheers,

*Heather*

Shauna Younge Dessert Tables said...

Hi Philomena,

I saw your comment on Twig & Thistle about my Halloween dessert table. Yes, I got the cake stands from Target. Because they are considered a seasonal item, they aren't shown on the website. They're in the Halloween section with the other Halloween decor. They are only $4 each! Isn't that phenomenal?

Best,

Shauna Younge

Maria said...

I want a scoop! Lovely blog!

Caroline said...

I made a bunch of jars of homemade strawberry jam in July!! And my ice cream maker is calling my name!!! This looks sweet, simple and simply perfect!

Adriana said...

beyond delicious

LimeCake said...

I use Nielsen Massey vanilla paste too. It's replaced me ever using a vanilla pod anymore because it's just as good! This ice cream looks delicious. Love the subtle shade of pink.

Kitchen Butterfly said...

What a great recipe - I've never thought of jamming with ice cream,even though I am addicted to yogurt and ginger jam with flaked almonds. Looking forward to trying this in the summer. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made them and came out nice. Plz blog more I love your taste in food.

Anonymous said...

these photos are beautiful!! what a lovely recipe - I'll have to try :)

Metamorfosis said...

Pelatihan SDM is network marketing and training information or training an employee who has worked with many consulting firms and training institutions and training of human resources.

pelatihan hrd,
pelatihan pengembangan diri,
pendidikan dan pelatihan sdm,
pelatihan akuntansi,
pelatihan sales marketing,
pelatihan kehumasan,
pelatihan sdm jogja,
lembaga pelatihan sdm
pelatihan manajemen bisnis,
pelatihan administrasi perkantoran,
lembaga training motivasi,
pelatihan sekretaris,
pelatihan karyawan,
lembaga training di jogja,
pelatihan in house training,
pelatihan public training,
jasa konsultan,
pelatihan dan pengembangan sdm,
pelatihan manajemen sdm,
program training karyawan,
diklat sdm,
program training sdm,
pengembangan kompetensi sdm rumah sakit,
pelatihan sdm untuk rumah sakit,
---------------
id card murah,
harga id card,
cetak kartu siswa,
produksi id card,
bikin id card,
cetak id card jogja,
id card murah jogja,
cetak id card
percetakan id card
pabrik id card
cetak kartu nama

Anonymous said...

I like your stuff, classic right, Now... everything with digital, perdita di peso thanks for remind me for this memories
water heater gainsborough
water heater ariston
water heater rinnai
water heater delizia
water heater wika

Unknown said...

nice article. visit my article too. https://goo.gl/WH3K2U

kingofglory said...

mau lancar berbahasa arab? langsung saja kepoin web saya. https://goo.gl/kEFpDJ

kuromi chan said...

hello. this article is good. visit my blog too.https://goo.gl/h9NCHy

Post a Comment